The process of masking prior to any surface finishing operation may seem simple enough, yet it can add significant cost and decrease throughput in the simplest of applications. For years, tapes, waxes, boots, and solvent or water-based coatings were the only materials available to protect components during surface finishing processes such as grit blasting, shot peening, acid stripping, and plating. With the potential of allowing leakage or edge lift, these maskants have proven to be inefficient as well as time consuming to apply.
Now light-curable masking resins, like SpeedMask®, offer more reliable surface protection than traditional masking methods when a barrier is needed to protect the surfaces and cavities on parts.
Here are five reasons to choose light-curable maskants for your manufacturing process.
1. Easy Instant Application. No heating or mask preparation is needed; they can be sprayed, dipped or brushed. With a single coat they provide reliable protection of metal, glass or plastic substrates. Other maskants have higher chances of application errors, which result in edge lift and leaking.
2. Conformation to Complex Shapes. The more complex and intricate a component, the longer it takes to apply and remove traditional masks. Light-curable maskants are suitable for very complex and intricate configurations-both large and small. They are the ideal solution for reliably covering hard-to-mask parts. They also eliminate labor-intensive application.
3. On Demand Curing. These resins cure in seconds upon exposure to LED/UV/Visible light energy and are easy to incorporate into automated systems. On-demand curing leads to a long pot life, and less waste. Parts are also immediately available for production.
4. Time and Money Savings. The easy application of the materials reduces processing time compared to labor-intensive manual taping or lacquer and wax application. In addition, since performance is not consistent with these traditional masks, significant losses resulting from rework and scrap often occur. Light-curable maskants are easily and quickly removed by peeling or incineration, leaving residue-free surfaces. Easy, clean removal results in time and labor savings.
5. Greener Process. These masking resins are solvent free allowing your manufacturing process to go green with the elimination of solvent lacquers. Cured maskants are 100% solids and RoHS compliant making them easier to dispose of compared to traditional masking tapes, waxes, and lacquers.
Ready to explore how SpeedMask® can help you?
Dymax application engineers can offer comprehensive technical assistance with your most complex applications and help find the appropriate light-cure solution for your process. Contact us now.